asher63 (asher63) wrote,

  • Mood:

Note to Self: Welcome to the 21st Century.

Hello Asher63! and welcome to the twenty-first century. Enjoy your stay.

Those small, shiny, plastic and chrome objects are called "telephones". People actually use them. You own one too, and you'd know what it was if you ever used it.

If you are in a public place and you hear an unidentified sound - be it an electronic chime, a few bars of music, a random sound effect, a humorous sound (such as an embarrassing, digestion-related noise) - in short, ANY unusual noise - you may safely assume it is somebody's phone ringing. (Relax. It is probably not yours. However, in the unlikely event that you should switch your phone on some time, it might be advisable to familiarize yourself with the sound of its ringtone so that you will recognize it, in the still more improbable case when you have your phone on and somebody actually calls you.)

If you insist on speaking of "dialing" a telephone number, you will probably be understood as that is a well-established figure of speech. However, bear in mind that most people under the age of 25 have never seen a telephone with a dial. In a similar vein, record stores are still referred to as "record stores", and a few of them still sell objects that you would recognize as "records"; however, the latter case is quite rare. Finally, to the best of our knowledge television is still referred to colloquially as "the tube" even when the object in question does not contain a cathode-ray or any other kind of tube; however, it is uncertain how long this expression will remain in use.

Now on to the kitchen. That large white object on the floor is an oven/stove combination, or what used to be called a "range". Don't you just love cleaning it? (Don't answer that. Assuming you actually did clean it, though, imagine how much fun it would be.) Now picture this: through the magic of science, suppose you were to heat your food in mere minutes - nay, seconds! - in an electronic appliance the size of a breadbox. Well, you can! It is called a "microwave oven". And there's even a miniature device called a "toaster-oven" which uses old-fashioned heating elements to toast your bagels without turning them into rubber cement. These things, of course, have been around since way back in the twentieth century, but we thought you'd like to know about them anyway.

Isn't science wonderful?

So welcome to the future, Asher63. We hope this message has been helpful to you. We'd love to tell you about text messaging, but frankly, we don't think you're ready for it.
Tags: random trivia

  • Monday evening.

    SOCIETY. Later this week, I'll be hosting a meeting of a conservative-leaning group that I've been a member of for several years. In the past, we met…

  • The path to truth.

    My favorite quote from my favorite movie.

  • Ratched, and other discoveries.

    So it seems there's going to be series dedicated to Nurse Ratched of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" fame (or infamy). I only learned that just…

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.